Friday, July 1, 2011

Field Trip: Myofascial Massage

Myofascial massage is an excellent way to get a self massage in the comfort of your own home.  I took a class at Core Sport which taught me using "The Grid", a product from Trigger Point Therapy.  This grid is a smaller version foam roller that has groves in it to mimic that of the palm, forearm or fingertip pressure.  


The Grid


We began with our calves, worked up to the quads, IT bands, hips & bottom, then finished with the back & neck.  Starting from the bottom up helps your body re-align.  You can roll out one leg at a time or increase the pressure by crossing on leg over another.  Also adding in ankles circles or pausing on a pressure point help to break up fascia in your muscles.  Think of your tight muscles being knots in your hair.  The more you comb your hair, the nicer and more healthy it looks.  Massage has that same benefit on your muscles.


I've purchased a Grid for my at home use and find it to be a wonderful way to recover quicker from my runs.  My muscles are able to remain looser and I have less aches throughout my day.  Many pro athletes such as the Dallas Cowboys football team use these products and save money being able to do at home self massages after their training sessions.  Discover the benefits of myofascial foam rolling and you will be hooked!

No comments:

Post a Comment