Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Health Advice: Fight Fatigue

Q: As the holiday season approaches and days get shorter I am feeling more fatigue.  I've tried to keep up with my workouts and get extra sleep.  Is there a change I can make in my diet that would help?

A: Yes!  Your diet can play a large role in how much energy you have throughout the day.  Always start by making sure you are getting enough H2O.  Even though it is winter season you can be dehydrated without knowing it (chapped lips and dry skin are indicators).  Choose water dense foods like watermelon or dark leafy greens.  

    

Healthy snacks can help such as pumpkin seeds (high in magnesium), yogurt (probiotics to fight colds), wheat bran cereal (high in fiber), and red peppers (one cup contains 200% daily vitamin C).  Finally, adding in a little treat of dark chocolate helps increase levels of the happiness-boosting brain chemical serotonin.

No comments:

Post a Comment